What is Empty State looking for?
- Fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction that in some way acknowledges, embraces or explores digital media and new technology. See here for more details on what we’re interested in.
- Features, reviews, interviews, articles, and anything else that explores or addresses digital media (and/or its absence) in modern writing
- Computer-generated literature, or literature co-authored with a computer
- Essays on computer-generated literature
- Fiction and creative non-fiction under 4000 words
- Poetry under 50 lines
- Essays and articles under 5000 words
- Interviews and reviews under 3000 words
Does Empty State pay contributors?
No. We would love to be able to offer payment for submissions, but Empty State is a labour of love, and runs at a loss. At this stage it’s unfortunately unfeasible to pay contributors, but if things change, we’ll undoubtedly let you know.
Does Empty State accept previously published work?
If it’s no longer in print, or no longer online, we’ll consider it — just let us know. Work published on your own blog is fine.
When will I hear back?
We respond to all submissions within a week.
File types and formatting
- Word document (.doc, .docx)
- Pages document (.pages)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- Text File (.txt)
We’re not fussy about formatting, although the simpler the better.
How to submit
Please email all submissions to email@example.com with some indication as to what you’re submitting in the subject line. Include your name, a short bio and website/Twitter handle as well.